Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Attempt at hdd data recovery

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Anybody know where I can find a 60gb Hitachi Travelstar model
IC25N060ATMR04-0 hard drive so that I can replace the heads in one that was
dropped while running?

Honestly I don't even know that I can get the heads out without screwing
them up, but I figure it is worth a shot if I can find one of these drives
someone is going to junk due to bad electronics.

- Mike

You can't, don't even bother. The precision required is orders of
magnitude greater than anything you can accomplish at home. There's 60
billion bits on those tiny platters, the alignment has to be mind
bogglingly accurate to read them.