Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Attempt at hdd data recovery

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 03:50:55 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
news
I think that's intended as a joke. The methods described there would
best be described as data destruction rather than recovery. Just
opening a modern hard drive will cause it to fail almost immediately.

Not true but it increases the risk of that. Running it after opening outside
of a clean room is very risky.

It depends on the drive. I've opened older drives that would run for
quite a while. The few semi-working modern drives I've opened didn't
last more than a few seconds before totally failing. The higher the
data density is, the less tolerant of dust they are.

Does anyone have any inside knowledge of what professional data
recovery companies actually do? I've opened plenty of bad drives that
have no obvious damage to the heads, or disks.

Andy Cuffe