Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Attempt at hdd data recovery

On 9 Oct 2006 15:40:45 GMT, (Michael Black)
wrote:

Remember, it used to be "change the boards and that will fix the drive".
I still see people looking for specific types of drives for this sort
of thing. We don't really ever hear about whether they are successful.
(Actually, someone did ask here about it some months back, and we did learn
it didn't work.)

So maybe the board switching worked at some point (especially before
IDE drives), or maybe it just worked in some cases. But people grasp
at straws, so they still look for identical drives (of course,
once they start buying junkers, how do they know the "new" drive is
working enough to be a transplant donor?).

I've fixed a few drives by changing boards, but it was never for the
typical clunk clunk clunk symptom. These were cases of boards that
were damaged by someone shorting it against the case, a bad motor
driver, or an IC that was obviously bad.
Andy Cuffe