Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick M Rick M is offline

Default Forstner bits.

Hey Rob,

Buy GOOD bits, and _only_ the ones you need. The urge to get the "free" box
with the set is strong ... resist it you must!

We did just that a few years back during a machine-building frenzy; the GOOD
bits did their job, and are still sharp, but are only taking up a fraction
of the space the others would occupy had they been purchased. Not to
mention, the few needed good bits were less than the "inexpensive" sets.

Regards,

Rick

BTW, how's your Sis?

"Robatoy" wrote
I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?