jim rozen

Default smart layout for very small shop?

In article , mongke says...

Anybody got spiffy ideas about laying out a very small shop? I'm
constricted at 1.80 x 3.0 meters

This is slightly smaller than my shop at work, and somewhat
larger than the tiny shop I set up while living in an apartment.

The apartment shop was fit into a narrow, deep closet and
had a purpose-built bench, a medium sized vise, and a small
bench lathe.

The larger shop at work has a drill press, storage cabinet,
floor lathe (hardinge hlvh) and a large, sturdy bench with
a large vise. There is also a grinder on the storage
cabinet top, and a small wash-up sink.

For really small shops, inches count. Your best bet might
be to make a built-in workbench with storage included. Also
consider that you simply cannot fit everything in there that
you need - my shop at work simply will not allow a bridgeport.

As far as the grinder, I made a trap box to keep abrasive stuff
from getting into the other machines. But in any event, make
a scale drawing with paper dolls and move them around til
you find a layout that you like.

Jim

please reply to: