Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Making a bowl/hemisphere shaped depression?

JeffRT wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
JeffRT wrote:
I'd like to make a bowl or hemispere shaped depression in a piece
of wood or maybe a piece of metal (aluminum or brass). I have
never done this before.

Is a router bit the only way to go or is there a bit for a drill
press (like the large hole bits for clock making) that I can get?

I do not do routing very well; so obviously I'd prefer a wood
drill bit, but I'd like to know in any case. All replies
gratefully acknolwedged.

Depending on the size of the desired hollow, you can do so with a
saw, either radial or table, by turning the blade at an angle to
the blade path and taking very shallow (1/16) and repetitive cuts
with just the edge of the blade teeth. The size and angle of the
blade determine the radius.
--
dadiOH

Interesting; never thought of that, but I'm looking for only about a
7/8" - 1" bowl or hollow.

Deep or diameter?

--

dadiOH