Christian McArdle

Default Domestic Combined Heat and Power

Perhaps I'm missing something but they talk about using wasted
heat to generate electricity. But the best condensing boilers
are already running at 91% efficiency, so there's not much to
reclaim, certainly not 25% ????

It's more like the wasted heat from generating electricity is used to heat
the water. This means that even, say, a 50% efficiency generating
electricity doesn't matter, as (a) gas is a quarter of the price of
electricity and (b) the waste from this heats up your water cylinder anyway
(usually supplemented by a standard burner as well). It's a win-win
situation.

Unfortunately, I can't install it now myself, as I never install first
generation products, and it seems to be in zeroth generation at the moment.
I've plumped for the Bosch Greenstar 28HE instead.

Christian.