Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] srp@lycos.co.uk is offline

Default Chainsaws...

Nick wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Gordon Henderson wrote:
I need to buy a chainsaw, wondered if the collective had any
thoughts on the STIHL brand? (I'm looking at the MS210 model
if that makes any difference)

This is just for cutting logs & stuff for home use, nothing much
more. I already have a little B&D electric one, but it's not much use
in the middle of a wood. It's also a bit old and really needs a new
chain (cheaper than a new saw, but since I need something a bit more
portable...)

I have a small Stihl one and it's a lovely piece of kit. It made very
light work of chopping through a pile of oak the other day! It does
have a tendancy to leak chain oil all over the place if not stored a
specific way up.. although this might be the same for other saws ?

I got mine from worldofpower.co.uk whom I would be happy to use again
and recommend.

PS.

Mine kicked back at me the other day, which was a bit scary.. I am
going to get a face gaurd before using it again ( since I can't trust
myself to respect it enough!)

You won't go wrong with a Stihl chainsaw. We use several with bar lengths
14" to 40 something inch. With intelligent care, use and maintenance they
will last for many years. Our oldest was bought in 1984 and is still in
regular use. It is worth having a spare chain or two, also worth having the
files and guides to sharpen them. Once you get to know how to sharpen a
chain it is but a few minutes work. It is useful to be able to do this 'in
the field'. Makes the job easier and much safer.
If your saw kicked back something was at fault with either the operator or
the saw. A face guard is of course essential, as is other PPE, but this is
not an alternative for knowledge and a well tuned saw.
Good luck, but take proper care and attention.
N.

thanks for that advice, you are obviously experienced with them, the
kickback was only a little one.. it just made me realise that the PPE
is not really optional, like you are saying. Don't want to end up with
a chainsaw stuck in my head really.

Si