Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default DISHWASHER DOOR

wrote in
oups.com:

I replaced the refrigerator (harvest gold) first thing. It didn't
involve a big installation.

I avoid the labor charges, being a woman alone and all. I may take on
installing a new dishwasher after I hang my Electrical Service Panel
today.

I was quoted $400 to install an electric oven. There's already one in
there wired up, I can't see letting them rip me off. I will get one
wired virtually the same, pull, drop new one it, and see if I need to
get help doing it instead of paying the upfront fee with no
justification except "$400 because they can be complicated."

I actually believe electricians are the biggest thieves around, ahead
of lawyers.

That's rediculous....maybe.

If you buy an electric stove you tell them if you have a 3 or 4 prong
outlet. You buy the cord when you buy the stove. When they deliver it the
delivery folks will connect it to the stove at no charge and plug it in.
That's the best case.

First, I'm not an electrician. The worst case is if for some reason in
your area local codes say you must have the opposite of what you have 3
vs 4 or 4 vs 3. Electrician is basing the 400 on having to run new wire
from the box to the stove. Anyway, if the plug is existing I doubt code
can say you have to change it just because you are replacing the stove.
But if in you local area they will only sell the opposite plug of the one
you have because of codes then the electrician is being forced to redo
it.

Mark wrote:
Mrs Clean, I think you are at the bitter end on this DW. I don't
know what kind of floor you have, or what is on the floor below you
kitchen, but a water leak would be pretty damaging to both. Also at
30 years your DW is probably not all that efficicient as far as water
and electric use, so a new one would likely pay for itself in a few
short years. You'll also be surprised at how quite a new one is!

Give it up - give the thing a kiss on the control knobs and drag it
to the street! You are right, you probably won't get 30 years out of
a new one - But you are really fortunate to have had the old one live
that long!

Mark

P.S. That old harvest gold refrig should probably go too! I know a
new one would save you $$$ in operating costs!

wrote in message
ups.com...
It was harvest gold but I painted it white hahahah

I was thinking a bike tire patch with cement glue.

I am hanging on to the bitter end.

Mrs. Clean

mm wrote:
On 6 Oct 2006 16:59:11 -0700,
wrote:

The nylon rollers have worn a hole in the inside of my
dishwasher.

It's 30 years old but the new ones only go 7 years, so I want to
keep it. It's sound mechanically.

How or what should I use to patch the inside of the door?

If it is all the way through, I think auto body putty would do it.
I think they have a couple general kinds, for small dents and for
larger that is sometimes supported by a piece of fiberglass mesh.

I can't imagine the hole is bigger than a dime, so I think you can
use the small dent stuff and just leave the door open, (the hole
is in the door, right?) and push enough through so that it lands
on the far side (now the bottom side) and keep applying it until
the pile reaches up to the level where you are. You can onoy
apply it a half inch deep at one time, or something like that.
Read the label. So do it in stages. When it reaches the hole
smooth it out. You may want to paint it with the little bottles of
white porcelain paint they sell for kitchen appliances (only in
colors that appliances come in.)

I live alone and only wash full loads, so Idon'pt use my
dishwasher very often, but it's 27 years old, and works and looks
fine, and has only broken once when a tiny half inch long very
thin chicken bone got caught in the anti-siphon thing on the sink.
And t hat wouldn't have happened if I cleaned my dishes better.

I wouldn't care about style, but afaict mine is still stylish.

It's a sears, probably whirlppol and has 3 sheets of metal stored
in the front, representing 6 colors**, if I wanted it to be
adifferent color. So far everything is harvest gold. Now that IS
out of style, but I don't care.

White, harvest gold, ovacado?, and I forget the other three. I've
only seen them once 15 years ago, because I have to take out two
screws and remove a strip to look at them.