Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Replace a gas insert with a wood-burning insert

On 8 Oct 2006 21:42:31 -0700, wrote:

We recently bought a house and want to replace the gas insert with a
wood-burning one. The gas insert vents out the side of the house --
about 6' above the fire box. I imagine this will be a problem. What I
wonder is: can it be done without building a flue to the roof? We live
in Washington State.

Thanks.

You can't use any of the existing system, no.

You can, however, take the existing pipe out and
put a stainless zero-clearance metal chimney through
the same hole, extending it up to the required clearance
above the roofline.