Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default How To Paint Popcorn Ceiling?

Tony Deb wrote:
What is the best way to paint an existing popcorn ceiling? The room is
20x14. I can move everything out and I am 99% sure that it is NOT made
with asbestos.
It is yellowing and crappy looking but I really dont want to remove it.
Im kind of hoping that you guys have some kind of new method for this
nightmare other than priming then rolling. My fingers are crossed!!!
Thank you.

I use an airless spayer on a surface like that. they can be rented and
even spray upside down! If you decide to remove it here's how: You
use a pump style garden sprayer. fill it with warm water and spray the
ceiling in the area that can be reached from you ladder or scaffold.
It will then come off quite easily with a wide taping knife. Just
cover your head and eyes and use a drop cloth.

There is a reason popcorn is used: It can be rather difficult to tape
and mud the ceiling with your arms over head not to mention painting
it. When you spray popcorn you can finish the ceiling right now
without any time consuming and bothersom taping, mudding and painting.
dont be surprised when you find that the drywall joints on the ceiling
will be relatively unfinished and will require a lot of work to prepare
for paint. At that point you may decide that the popcorn wasn't so bad
after all. New popcorn is easy to install and requires very little
prep. It goes up real fast with a hopper gun and air compressor.