Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Fischer Tim Fischer is offline

Default DISHWASHER DOOR

wrote in message
oups.com...
I replaced the refrigerator (harvest gold) first thing. It didn't
involve a big installation.

I avoid the labor charges, being a woman alone and all. I may take on
installing a new dishwasher after I hang my Electrical Service Panel
today.

I was quoted $400 to install an electric oven. There's already one in
there wired up, I can't see letting them rip me off. I will get one
wired virtually the same, pull, drop new one it, and see if I need to
get help doing it instead of paying the upfront fee with no
justification except "$400 because they can be complicated."

I actually believe electricians are the biggest thieves around, ahead
of lawyers.

$400 to install an oven is insane. The only thing you might need help with
is lifting out the old one and lifting in the new one (assuming they are the
same size, etc).

Appliance dealers mark up the delivery/installation as a major profit
center. They always groan a bit when I tell them I intend to install
myself.

We just bought an LG dishwasher. Home depot said that they normally charge
$150 for a DW install, but that model was "really hard" so they charge $250.
I bought it from a different source, and installed it myself, and saved $450
between the marked-down price and the DIY install. It was a bit finicky to
install but I got it done in an hour or so. If an amateur can do it in an
hour, it probably would take the pros 1/2 hour. Must be nice to make
$500/hour...

-Tim