Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Water Hammer Arrestors.

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 13:24:06 -0400, Tom The Great
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 04:56:41 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"
wrote:

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
. ..
I was flipping channels and found the show "Ed The Plumber", the topic
was water hammer. In the last few minutes of the show it showed him
installing water hammer arrestors on the hot and cold water washing
machine inlets. They looked like small blue globes.

I have a mild water hammer problem, and figure that I would shoot for
the simplest solution.

http://www.urlbee.com?7537 (the last photo in article).

They look like they have a greater volume than the smaller ones I've
seen. Anyone know where I can get these water hammer arrestors?

Thank you,

tom

If you have a water hammer problem try draining the system to get air back
in it. What they use to do is stick a piece of pipe ( 8 to 10 inches)
vertical with a cap this will trap air and work for shock absorber. They
usually put a tee at the water supplies .Eventually the water will absorb
the air that's the advantage of pre made one. But it might be sized for the
fixture unites it has to handle.

I've heard these dead legs loose their effeciency over time, to almost
zero due to water logging. The air bubble disappears.

That's why you use a screw-on cap/plug, and not a
soldered one.