Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default adding a new switch/light on to an existing 3-way switch

lloydy wrote:
Hi - I'm baffled and would appreciate any and all advice. I have a
14-3 coming from the panel to a box (red/white/black/ground). at the
box is a 3-way switch for a hall light, and wires for the second
3-way switch for the othend of the hall controlling this hall light
(14-2 wire).

In the first box (where the 14-3 comes into, I've run 14-2 for a
ceiling light fixture (14-2). I'm looking to put this ceiling
fixture on a new dimmer (I have a 3-way dimmer switch) but for the
life of me I can't figure out how to have this new light fixture
wired separately from the hall 3-ways.

Please help!! thank you!!

You should have a 14-2 from the panel to the first device in the three
way setup ( Light Fixture(s) & 2 Three way switches and maybe 1 or more four
way switches. There is no need for the 14.3 from the panel unless the extra
hot is for something else. Only one hot (red or black) should be used in a
normal 3 way setup. A 14-3 is used between the switches. If you want to
add a dimmer, that can be done, but it can be a little tricky and I have
seen more than on way or wiring it in depending on the technology used. You
need to check the instructions with the dimmer.

Before doing anything else, you need to be sure of what you now have
and from your description, I would say there was a lot of doubt about what
you are describing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit