Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Do heating stoves really help your heating bill?

wrote:
I've been told that fireplaces are inefficient and in fact make
things worse since they suck hot air out of the house once you put
the fire out. But I heard that heating stoves help matters, like
this one:

Aaron Fude

Plenty of responses so far. Each has made valid points. But there are
many variables.

Case in point, I have a 50+ year old cape in NY. Insulation was
adequate by the standards when it was built. Primary heating system is
a 90% rated gas fired hot air system. House had a Heat-o-lator fireplace.

Being a single home owner it makes little sense to keep the thermostat
up while I'm away at work. Plus the insulation standard means the house
isn't overly tight. But I like a warm house. Choice was simple, either
crank up the thermostat or use an auxiliary method of heating. Had used
the fireplace but is really more decorative than efficient.

Solution for me was a wood burning insert. Like the free standing stove
you referenced these are amazingly efficient. Obviously costs vary
based on where you live and how you source the fuel. I purchase split
wood from a dealer. Bought during Springtime generally results in deep
discounts. I stack it myself and get a good six months of extra seasoning
time before the heating system begins.

As I said I like a warm house. My thermostat stays set around 66-68.
Once I get home I light off a few logs and the immediate area will be 70
within an hour. Later I'll control the fire to hold a 75-78 range.
Being a cape style of home the rising air automatically keeps the second
floor area comfy as well. Weekends I often use wood heating exclusively.

All things considered my heating costs are 30-40% below that of
neighbors and friends who have similar homes. But I'm enjoying comfort
about 10 degrees higher than they are. Also something to be said for
that radiant heat and glow while watching Sunday football with the dog
laying at your feet.