Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Attempt at hdd data recovery

"Ancient_Hacker" ) writes:
Eeyore wrote:
Ancient_Hacker wrote:

You may of course be right but since it's just for interest value why not give it ago

Well, if you have the spare time, sure.

I'd estimate about a 4% chance of success so that's too low for me to
pursue.

And the original poster wanted to recover some photos.

The "learning value" only came in later, or from one of the repliers.

But what does one learn? That it can be done? Something for the future?

Most people will never have a need for doing this a second time, even
if successful the first time.

And given the poster was going to follow some text, I doubt he can
learn from the experience, because if he's successful all he's
learned is how to follow the instructions, if he fails I doubt
he has any safety net to help him figure out why.

I would urge everyone to open up a hard drive they are about to
toss out. They can grab the magnets, and that first hand viewing
of the insides is a good learning experience. It costs nothing
but a few minutes of time. But after that, the cost is going to go
up.

Michael