Posted to sci.electronics.repair
hdtv? hdtv? is offline

Default Attempt at hdd data recovery

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
Anybody know where I can find a 60gb Hitachi Travelstar model
IC25N060ATMR04-0 hard drive so that I can replace the heads in one that
was dropped while running?

Honestly I don't even know that I can get the heads out without screwing
them up, but I figure it is worth a shot if I can find one of these drives
someone is going to junk due to bad electronics.

- Mike

It's worth a try as an experiment. I really doubt you'll be successful.
A couple of hints - the parts hdd is required to be EXACTLY identical.
As previously mentioned try the PCB swap first - after verifying the parts
drive is a good drive.

I would suggest finding 3 or 4 hdd's to practice on before you try the one
you are attempting to recover from.

btw a head stack swap on a laptop drive is extremely difficult due to the
physical size.