Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Forstner bits.

Robatoy (in )
said:

| I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.
|
| The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth
| the extra few bucks to go to HSS.
| But what about carbide?

In my experience, Forstners tend to heat up pretty quickly. I've been
excruciatingly careful with mine to avoid burning - and have been
wishing that I'd bought a carbide-tipped set. (The HSS set I have came
from Woodcraft Supply.)

| Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
| Lee Valley has a nice set.
| Any other suggestions?

Nope. On the basis of other purchases from LV (especially their
carbide-tipped lipped brad point bits), I'd be inclined to go ahead
and order 'em from Lee Valley - that way if it turns out that you
don't like them, you can return the set without a lot of hassle.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar