Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default hot water tap 'choking'

Dundonald wrote:

The hot water tap in our kitchen acts strange - I can only describe it
as choking. We have a combi boiler so if when I turn the hot water tap
on the water isn't hot yet, the water flows fine. But as soon as it is
hot or when I turn the tap on and the water is already hot the water
splurts out in segments. I find if I turn the tap on quickly up to
full flow the choking isn't as bad. I can hear the pipework from under
the sink back to the garage rattling when the tap is choking. Very
strange. All other hot taps work fine so there's no problem with the
combi boiler or pipework.

Does your combi include some form of flow regulation (i.e. so that it
prevents the water from running cool should you ask for it faster than
it could heat it otherwise)?

I have seen a similar thing happen with an old multipoint water heater.

--
Cheers,

John.