Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default How To Paint Popcorn Ceiling?

Tony Deb wrote:
What is the best way to paint an existing popcorn ceiling? The room is
20x14. I can move everything out and I am 99% sure that it is NOT made
with asbestos.
It is yellowing and crappy looking but I really dont want to remove it.
Im kind of hoping that you guys have some kind of new method for this
nightmare other than priming then rolling. My fingers are crossed!!!
Thank you.

Tony C.

If you don't remove it and paint over it by whatever method, you will
make it at least four times harder to remove later. If you can indeed
get everything out, then removing the existing popcorn will only take
about an hour or two. A day to prepare the ceiling for whatever new
texture you want and you're done with a much better ceiling than what
you would have had with a crappy painted over popcorn ceiling.

Besides, the next guy may decide that you were an idiot who couldn't
make a good shade tree mechanic and hunt you down and remove you from
the gene pool. I know I feel that way about idiots who put wallpaper on
unprimed wallboard.

--
Grandpa