Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default How To Paint Popcorn Ceiling?

(Tony Deb) wrote in news:26818-45299824-1415@storefull-
3315.bay.webtv.net:

What is the best way to paint an existing popcorn ceiling? The room is
20x14. I can move everything out and I am 99% sure that it is NOT made
with asbestos.
It is yellowing and crappy looking but I really dont want to remove it.
Im kind of hoping that you guys have some kind of new method for this
nightmare other than priming then rolling. My fingers are crossed!!!
Thank you.

Tony C.

I may get my ass reamed from others here for lack of "proper" prep but...

I've done quite a few. I just vacuum/sweep it off. Any stains or
discoloration, providing the drywall is in good shape, I just go over
with some white primer however many times it needs it. Get decent quality
CEILING paint. I've used the Glidden with good results. Ceiling paint is
thicker. The Borg puts Behr 2 gal buckets on sale for what Glidden costs
at regular price. Get Purdy or equivalent covers. Cheapies are not gonna
hold paint. The knap depends on how heavy the texture is. Use at LEAST
the next step up from what you use on regular walls.

Before you do your first roller dip into the paint, dampen (not soak!)
the roller with water to prime it to absorb paint. Sprinkle a bit on the
roller and rub in with your hand. If you stop in the middle of painting
for some time, cover the roller with plastic wrap. Paint won't dry. Not
even overnight, not even for days.

So what am I gonna get chewed out for on this post? Said nothing about
priming. Said nothing about using special roller covers other than
heavier knap.

If that yellowing is some type of significant film like smoke or grease,
that's not good. No paint/primer is gonna bond well to it.

Use common sense as always. Cover furniture, carpets, etc with plastic.
Actually, for floors, a cloth dropcloth is far better than plastic. It
doesn't get in your way, stays where you put it and doesn't tear. You
don't have to buy a pro one from the Borg. I picked up one at Big Lots.
Yea it has seams, unfinished edges, etc. It was 10 bucks for a 9x12.
That's like half of pro Borg stuff. Only drawback I can think of is
spilled paint will go through. Always keep the paint supply on the floor.
Harder to fall on the floor if it's on the floor. But don't keep it
behind you where you will step in or kick it over.