Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Well over flowing

David Martel wrote:
Tony,

Your pump, holding tank, and household plumbing make a pressurized
system. Taking off this cap is like opening a faucet, water flows out. As
the water flows out the pressure in the system drops. At some point the pump
comes on. So turn the pump off and the water will stop gushing out but you
may lose the prime on your well. So have a couple of gallons of water just
in case.
Are you sure of the location of the pump and any check valves? You can't
shock a well if there is a valve blocking the path where you intend to pour
the chlorine.

Dave M.

Hi,
Pump is in the well deep down. There is thick wires going down there.
So I need to shut off the pump when I open the cap?
Thanks,
Tony