Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default fifth wheel/goosneck pros and cons

On 8 Oct 2006 14:39:10 -0700, "Lawrence"
wrote:

hello to all,

I have the good fortune to own a new pickup, a Dodge Ram 3500.
Luckily, i still have the old Toyota as well so now I am a two pickup
household. Here's a pic of the new truck:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lwhale...e2.jpg&.src=ph

This thing is big and I want to tow a big trailer with it. I need to
tow a bobcat skidster and to deliver lumber and firewood. Been
shopping for trailers and am considering a goosneck style which would
require the installation of a fifth wheel hitch which is in the middle
of the bed over the axle. The ladder rack you see in the pic can be
partially dissasembled to allow for the use of such a hitch. I already
have a regular heavy duty hitch but have heard that the goosneck setup
will be easier to tow and will handle a bigger load over the axle. I
already know it is more expensive not only for the hitch but the
trailer too. How much will this hitch interfere with the convenient
use of the bed? Can anyone out there have any experience with this
type of setup give me some pros and cons?

Lawrence

Use a hitch similar to a Unigoose and your bed is flat.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--