Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I know if my fence posts are set in cement?

In article ,
mm wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 14:18:46 -0500, ()
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:
How do I know if my fence posts are set in cement? The dirt and
grass goes all the way up to everyone of the 30 plus posts.

I need to know now because I may have to take one post out
temporarily.

...snipped...

Get a piece of rebar about 4 or 5 ft long, 1/2" dia would be god, and
try to drive it down alongside the post, a couple inches away. You
should be able to tell if it hits concrete. Try it in a few spos
around the post to be sure.

Thanks. Boy, is that obvious, NOW THAT YOU'VE TOLD ME!

So, if there is no cement, how hard is it to get a 4" diameter round
wood fence post out of the ground, and how do I do it?

CAn I connect a chain to my bumper jack, or a floor jack, wrap it
around the post, and jack? If I make some dents in the post, that
would be ok.

(And I have an old 4' piece of rebar that, with a rope, had been
holding up my apple tree. The tree doesn't need it anymore and it
kept me from mowing the lawn right. I threw away the other 3 but kept
the last one, even though it was bent too, for a reason I didn't know.
Now I know!)

I pulled about a dozen 4X4 posts in my yard using a "farm jack" which
is kind of a super-heavy-duty bumper jack. If I didn't already own
one, I believe a regular bumper jack would have worked OK. Instead of
a chain I used a couple big C clamps and clamped a 2X4 block about 8"
long to the posts, and then put the jack against the block. If the
jack isn't powerful enough, soaking the ground around the post may
help. Put the base of the jack on a piece of 2X10 or whatever to
distribute the load and keep it from sinking into the ground.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -