Tom Gardner

Default Disappointed with carbide drill bit performance

Way too fast! Try about 100 rpm with lots of pressure and oil with a
pristinely sharp bit.

"Ben" wrote in message
m...
I recently discovered carbide drill bits. Wow, heavy, big, gold(TiN),
and expensive.(Cheap on the bay). So, I drilled an 1/8th i hole
through a 3/8 tap. What a thrill, but it took 2000 rpm on a drill
press to do it. I think it spot annealed, then drilled a bit, then
spot annealed etc.
So I ran out and got a 5/16 carbide tipped die drill from ptd and a
5/15 hiroc drill. Also a 1/8" tile bit too.
Put it in my Rigid 18v and tried to drill through a 6" mill *******
file. No chance. Used the carbide tipped die drill on a piece of 1/4"
plate. Yeah, it'll drill, it just doesn't want to. Cobalt works fine
on this.
If it cant even drill through a file what good is it?
Why cant you use soild carbide jobber bits with steel?
One place claims their M-7 bits will "drill through" my new CTD cobalt
drills.
BS? How can m7 drill through m42? Is there a carbide drill that will
"drill through anything this side of roswell", quicky, smoothly,
acting just like a jobber drill in steel?
Anybody heard of http://www.icscuttingtools.com/Products_Drills.htm?
by the way, they look good, but will their drills be as good as
cleveland twist?