Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default 220 VAC A/C condenser fan motor at 120 VAC?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just wired up a used A/C 1/4 hp condenser fan motor with 110
VAC.

It starts up easily and runs quietly.

I am using it to blow the air from one side of a duplex attic into the
other side, thereby cooling both attics.

The motor was designed for vertical shaft installation and I am using
it horizontally.

Is there any danger in running it at 1/2 the voltage and in the
horizontal orientation?

Thanks

Many 220 volt appliances have internal 110 volt accessories. Are you sure
that the motor is 220 volt? I have run capacitor start motors on lower
voltage and they would not run correctly. The motor may only been running
on 1 leg of the 2-110 volt lines coming in to the condenser/compressor.

Now, considering what you are doing, I did a similar set up in my attic
about 20 years ago and ran the fan for 10 years. I found that the fan had
no measurable effect on my electricity bill nor did the attic temperature
drop. My electricity usage during the summer basically remained the same
with the fan not running all day long. An expert in the Houston area
addressed this once and indicated that the cooling savings was off set by
the expense of running the fan. With my findings I totally agree. The
motor I used was designed to be mounted facing up on a roof top and I had it
mounted vertically, it never wore out.