Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default Sky tube/tunnel evaluations

I had a sola-tube installed. I watched the installation, but didn't do
it myself as I didn't want to rely on unskilled labor making a hole in
my roof and sealing it, nor cutting a rather large hole in the plaster
ceiling, and I needed a kink in the tube to align the ceiling hole with
the roof hole, which had to be offset to miss a rafter (I figured the
installer would have all the pieces needed, while I might end up having
to make multiple trips to pick up pieces I hadn't anticipated.

We are very happy with the result. It has the electric light in it, but
we almost never need that, and it took a few years for us to learn to
stop trying to turn off the light when it wasn't on, since the unit
alone lets in a lot of light.

Ours also came with an exhaust fan that mounts remotely, where the duct
passes through the fascia, which reduces the fan noise in the bathroom
to virtually nothing.

I have no experience with other brands so I cannot address them.

Sevenbooks wrote:
Hi,

I need more light in my house. Has anyone installed the Sky tubes or
tunnels available at Lowes and Home Depot themselves? If so any tips
you'd like to share? Has it leaked or caused problems in your attic?
Are you happy with the amount of light it provides?

Lowes has one for $160. Is that one crap?

Thanks
Sevenbooks