Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Corner bead rust

wrote:
The corner bead around one of the windows in a bathroom is showing rust
through the wallpaper. I guess it was put in when the house was built
back in the early 1980's. Should I replace the bead to prevent rust
from progressing & staining the new wallpaper/paint or can I just paint
over it with some rust preventing paint?

I have a corner bead, right at the entry to our shower, that rusted
quite deeply - all along the flange at the bottom. After grinding off
rust, putting on Rustoleum primer, it continued to rust through the
patching compound. I finally dug it out again and cut off the section
that was worst rusted, primed what I could reach, "walled off" the
deeper edge with silicone caulk, let that cure well, and then patched
and painted. About a year and a half, and it is holding. The problem
was that the tile baseboard took a very minute dip by the corner bead
and would hold water. Fixed that, too, by building up the grout a
little bit. After I put up new wallpaper, I taped the bottom edges and
sides of paper (next to shower stall) with a fine line of grout to keep
steam from loosening the paper.

If just the corner has a touch of rust, I would sand off the rust, use
rust primer right away, let it cure very well. Be sure the room is very
dry when you work on the bead.