Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Charley Charley is offline

Default Turning lopsided work

This can be done, but you will need to take the time to make a jig that will
allow you to keep the piece to be turned reasonably well balanced with
respect to the lathe centers. Don't skimp on the design. Your safety may
well depend on the quality of this jig. A piece of wood of similar mass
mounted on the opposite side is usually the easiest way to get the balance
that you need but the design of the jig will vary considerably depending on
the shape of the piece that you will be turning. Some disks fastened to each
end with the counter weight pieces mounted on them is a possible way of
doing this. After you build and mount whatever jig you make into your lathe,
start the lathe up on very slow speed and stand back out of the way. Then if
it spins and seems to be balanced OK, slowly increase the speed until you
reach about 150% of the max speed that you intend to work at to be sure that
it stays together and is safe. In my opinion I would never turn something
like this any faster than was necessary. I would also try to keep my body as
much out of the danger zone as possible while working and I would use
whatever kind of guarding that I could come up with to make the job as safe
as possible. Ready access to the off switch while working is also a must.

Good Luck,

Charley

"steamer" wrote in message
--Hi gang; new guy here. I've been turning wood for this and that
for a spell so I've got the basics down. I'm no artist; just makin' parts
for this project or that. But today I want to take a whack at turning down
the ends of a hunk of oak that measures 12" on the long axis and 1.5" x 5"
othat will be spinning, so to speak. Now the tricky part is that I want to
turn it eccentrically, so that the turned ends will be off the centerline

by
an inch or so. In other words this hunk of oak is going to be flopping
around and will want to make my lathe gallop around the shop! I'm

wondering
if there is some recognized method of adding counterweight to the thing,

ocompensate for the unequal spinning mass. Any pointers appreciated.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Proud to be the
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : family crackpot!