Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Tractor battery light on - what to do?

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 03:54:28 GMT, "Tomes" wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Tomes wrote:
Hi folks,
John Deere GT262 Garden tractor, maybe 10 years old. I jump started my
neighbor's tractor (positive to positive, neg to neg) and it went fine.
Now my battery light is on when it is running, and otherwise seems to
run fine (lights work, PTO engages, runs normally). What might have
happened? What should I do? What other information would you like to
have to help here?
Thanks for the help,
Tomes - moderately handy but no expert on this
Hi,
Your solid state reggulator modlue maybe partially cooked jumping the
neighbor' battery. Is it charging and holding it? Then maybe just light
is on, otherwise....

I thought tractors used 24 volt systems. Of course my only experience
with John Deere's is the John Deere 146 front end loader. The poster only
gave one side of the situation that I could see, maybe he jumped a 24 volt
system with a 12 volt battery or vice versa.

This is just a garden tractor, used for lawn mowing and snow throwing and
pulling firewood around the property (anything bigger than that gets the
attention of the Jeep). The other guy's was a lawn tractor. 12v vs. 12v.

Is there a way to diagnose this? Is a voltage regulator an easy/cheap fix?
Tomes - full of questions

One more thing.

Ask the neighbor to help you troubleshoot the problem. He has lots
of experience with battery problems. g