Posted to uk.d-i-y
pm pm is offline

Default Plasterboard fixings

marvelus wrote:
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 17:15:10 +0100, pm
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The real issue is the circumference of the hole in the plasterboard. Or
in fact the one side of it that takes the weight

This usually exceeds the compression strength of the plasterboard, and
the hole gradually enlarges as a result.

Tiling over locally increases the strength as the tile does the
supporting, and the tile spreads the load to the board via the tile
cement.. That works, as also does gluing a slab of wood OVER the
plasterboard. But no fixing that relies on a cylinder of small diameter
in plasterboard can take much weight.

The area is half tiled (the bottom half) and next year this will be
coming off and the whole lot tiled.
I can't locate any studs at all by tapping. It is a fairly narrow wall
(only just wide enough for a 600mm towel rail) so perhaps the studs are
right at the ends.

Opinion seems to be divided about the effectiveness of the plasterboard
fittings. Seeing as it will be tiled next year I might give them a go.
If it goes T/U you can say "I told you so!"

Like a door most of the weight is taken at the top so at least put in
a noggin there where you now have access. You'll get away with the
other fittings mentioned lower down.

If it falls off the wall you get a leak and maybe flood the place.

OK, I've thought about the responses and after getting some hollow wall
anchors and looking at their use I am now considering putting a nogging
in as I am not comfortable with the wall anchors.

I've not put in noggings before so I would appreciate some advice.

The wall is 90cm wide, one end is 10cm masonry (I think - it is the edge
of where a door used to be. All the original internal walls are
masonry). 80cm is plasterboard. The other end is the architrave for the
door.

I can't locate any studs by tapping, it all sounds the same to me except
where the masonry is and perhaps 1" from the architrave. So assuming I
have to cut out the whole width of the PB, what is the best technique?
Drill through then use a wood saw/pad saw/jigsaw? The plasterboard is
quite thick, about an inch (could be 2 x 12.5mm boards?)

How wide should the nogging be? How is the nogging fixed to the studs -
nail or screw in at an angle?

Once the nogging is in, do I just plaster over after priming the wood or
should I put the cut-out plasterboard back and fill the gaps?

Some of the answers will no doubt be findable with Google but if anyone
has quick answers to these Q's it would be welcome. Also any
tips/tricks/techniques would be handy

Thanks
Pete