Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Lichen removal from roof

"Nick H" wrote in message
. ..

Richard Wrote:
Our house roof appearance is being spoilt by lichen, is there anything
on the market to remove it, and any good techniques for spraying it
without venturing onto the roof itself.

Why would you want to "clean" your roof and make it look like it went
up 5 minutes ago ? I had a flyer through the door the other day
offering to clean and seal my roof before all manner of terrible things
happened, all caused by the s**t and crud thats been up there quite
happily for the last 50 years. It really is a load of bo**ocks, a
totally "invented" problem which preys on the fears of the less well
informed, I personally know of one older chap who paid three and a half
grand to have his roof "cleaned and triple sealed" whatever the hell
that is supposed to mean, all because he was led to believe that his
roof was being destroyed by the moss and dirt on it. This is a totally
invented problem so dont get suckered in.

A build-up of mosses and deposited dirt can be a problem on a flat roof
where it can't get washed down by rain. We had such a one on the school
which I (with others!) governed, it cost us a lot of money.

I agree with everything else you said, if it's on a sloping roof.

Mary

--
Nick H