Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Back support for drywall patch

Paul wrote in
news
On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:04:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

That's a good idea, its not like its a load bearing surface or
something. It just has to hold the patch long enough for the drywall
mud to set.

It COULD be a load bearing surface, at some time in the future.
Perhaps a load of a different kind. Depending upon where the repair
is located, I would be concerned about somebody bumping a broom handle
into a weak spot and having to repair the wall again. Somebody might
trip and put their hand out to break their fall and have it go through
the repaired spot.

I prefer slightly more substantial bracing behind my drywall repairs,
and I prefer to have them securely screwed in place.

At HD,they have these drywall repair clips having breakoff tabs that hold
in the replacement piece of drywall,then screws go thru the metal clip to
hold botht he new piece and the clip to the original drywall.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik