Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default B&Q Solar

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:29:47 GMT, raden wrote:

I'm surprised bio oils have not been played with to fuel oil fired
boilers ( I'd be in like a shot) I used to run a Mitsubishi Pajero on
neat Veg oil :-) ran like a dream, just made me hungry with the smell
:-). Biofuel technology must sureley be a winner, it lets out oxygen
as it grows and so its carbon footprint is nil.

That's an interesting assertion

.... and a total load of ********

Well there is the little matter of 48.32p/litre of duty of road diesel
which isn't on heating oil and VAT is only 5% on domestic heating oil so
it's ******** regarding cost.

Also I'm not sure I'd want to run a modern pressure jet heating boiler on
SVO which is heavier than diesel. Heating oil is lighter than diesel and
burns very cleanly.

However true biofuel has a zero carbon footprint as the carbon in it came
from the CO2 in the air as the plants grew and released the O2 back. The
sooner that decent sized commercial plants are built to produce/recycle
vegetable based oils for fuel the better but I bet HMG will stifle it by
upping the duty (currently 28.32p/l) on it once it becomes widely
available.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail