Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Paul is offline

Default Service upgrade without telling the power company

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 12:23:22 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

My next door neighbor had an electrician upgrade his panel to 200 A without
1) a permit, and 2) telling the power company.

I'm curious how that was accomplished, or at least I'm wondering what the
power company is going to say when the values on his meter changes
overnight, not to mention his meter won't have a seal on it either.

Hmm... When I had an electrician to upgrade my service to 200 amps,
the power company gave me a new meter for the new meter box, they
replaced the overhead line from the house to the nearest pole, and
they even replaced the pole and transformer. Everything made sense to
me, except the pole and transformer. The old pole looked like it could
last for another 50 years. I think they replaced the meter with one
they could read remotely from the van, so I don't know if there was
also a need for a higher amperage rating.

If, somehow, your neighbor's service requires some of those changes,
the power company may have something to say to him.