Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Back support for drywall patch

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

Everyone talks about how to put a thin strip of wood behind the hole
that you're patching so that you can attach the drywall.

I can do that, but I'm having problems visualizing how you would
attach the wood backing. Is it as simple screwing a hole in the
surrounding drywall and into the wood backing, or is it something
more. I'm just having trouble seeing it because drywall isn't very
strong, so using drywall to hold up the backing wood, so that you can
secure the patch sounds like a recipe for a bigger hole to patch.

Is it as simple screwing a hole in the
surrounding drywall and into the wood backing,

That works in many cases.

I've also used various types of glue depending on what I'm doing. I've even
used drywall mud on the ends as well as liquid nails. It just depends on
what I'm doing, how picky, how much strength I need, how visable it will
be, will it ever be bumped, etc. Just put on ends, put stick in wall.

sketch: http://i12.tinypic.com/4doaold.jpg

A favorite stick of mine to use are paint sticks. Lotsa BORG sticks behind
the walls in houses I've worked on! They can be cut and split with a razor
knife as well as hand broken. Not too good for screwing into though. 1 gal
sticks will split easily. 5 gal much sturdier being 1/4 thick.

BORG sticks (1 & 5 gal) are also great for putting in stripped wood screw
holes. Cut to size with extra length, coat with wood glue, hammer in hole
as flush as possible. When thoroughly dry, trim any protruding wood with
utility knife.

5 gal BORG sticks also good for wall spaces of laminate floor requiring 1/4
space.