Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Service upgrade without telling the power company

It would be the same meter, although the meter box would be changed to 200
amp. Probably, the only thing the utility may notice is the missing seal,
and in some areas, the electrician can just notify the utility that he
removed the seal to service the equipment. IMO unless the guy did a horrific
job of the service, no one would give it a second glance

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
My next door neighbor had an electrician upgrade his panel to 200 A
without 1) a permit, and 2) telling the power company.

I'm curious how that was accomplished, or at least I'm wondering what
the power company is going to say when the values on his meter changes
overnight, not to mention his meter won't have a seal on it either.

If it's an overhead service, he could have disconnected the hot service
conductors at the weatherhead and then reclamped and retaped them when he
was done; he wouldn't necessarily have to break the seal on the meter.

What makes you think the meter is going to change? Or even that the
monthly electric use is gonna rise dramatically?

Bob

Well, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought when you went from
100A to 200A service the meter had to change as well. I'm sorry if I
wasn't clear in the post, but he added 200A service to his house, he
didn't simply upgrade his panel.