Posted to alt.home.repair
propman propman is offline

Default how to glue a vinyl lamination to particle board

wrote in news:1160246174.114472.128620
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I have a particle board shelf where the vinyl lamination has partially
come off on the front of it (1/2" height strip that runs for the 24"
length of the shelf) I'm trying to fix it, but I am unsure of what
type of glue was originally used.

The existing glue dried white, if that is any help

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to spot repair the vinyl
lamination that is lifting? The lamination came off the glue because
we were pulling a cardboard box from the shelf and it was catching the
edge of the vinyl, and eventually peeled off a 12" section. There is
no glue on the vinyl, it is all still on the particle board.

Not sure what you mean by a "vinyl" finish but if the board is the type
of prefinished rascals you can buy a hardware stores then there's a few
things you can try:

Contact cement......potentially messy, extra $$ outlay.

Low - medium heated iron (type for ironing clothes)......keep iron
moving along the loose bit length to gradually heat up all unstuck
areas.

If that doesn't fix the problem, go to the local hardware store to
purchase a roll of melamine iron on repair tape. Remove old edging and
as much old glue as you can. Happy ironing........ :-)