Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default 5-year termite booster treatment?

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:39:45 GMT, "Em" wrote:

My annual home termite inspection and "insurance" policy has been costing
$125 per year. This year, now that the house has been standing five years,
the exterminator wants to do a $445 "booster" treatment. I thought the
barrier remains intact for many years until the soil is disturbed, so I
asked why the house would need a booster, and the lady said the barrier has
been breaking down over the five years because of "walking in the yard". Is
the a bona-fide service they are offering?
-BAM

I have not purchased termite service, ever. I spend $30 a year on
ant/termite product and spray twice around the perimeter of the house.
It helps keep out spiders, ants, ladybugs. earwigs, crickets and
supposedly termites. You should inspect your house for termites, but
few homeowners actually do this. The $445 treatment sounds a bit
high. I know some areas of the country are more susceptible to
termite infestation that others; ie, I heard that half of Hawaiian
houses are infested.