Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Delta 36-717 Opinions

This has always been the problem with telling someone (specially a beginner)
that he should buy used. The experienced man can find these deals because he
knows where to look. The beginner can not. The experienced man can
accurately judge the working condition of the used equipment and determine
if the asking price is a good deal, the beginner can not. The experienced
man can accurately judge what any repairs are going to cost him, the
beginner can not. The experienced man can determine if he can make the
needed repairs, the beginner can not. In most cases, the beginner is far
better off buying new equipment with from a reputable company. He will then
be reasonably assured of getting a piece of equipment that will do the job
and he has a warranty to back it up. "Buy used" is often not good advice for
a beginner.

wrote in message
oups.com...

" Of course, it still won't be that more expensive shiney new
wannabeacabinetsaw you've got your eye on. But better and cheaper
aren't for everyone.

AM Wood"

What a great suggestion! I just can't get over how many used Unisaws
and Powermatics I keep seeing in my local area in papers and various
lists. It must be that everyone wants to get rid of their quality saws
at a really cheap price just for me. In the real world you can wait
forever for better and cheaper. This is why I finally bought a Steel
City saw. Of course you could offer to sell Ken your "better and
cheaper" saw. How about it?