Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Harry Mr Harry is offline

Default B&Q Solar

wrote:
Someone has generated a huge debate about B&Q entry into
the toy-end of the windmill business.

Whatever you think about the national needs, it's a tad irrelevant
for the householder / DIYer .....

(Please don't let's argue wind power here.... this is about solar
panels
for DHW)

BUT, B&Q has also announced that they will be selling DIY Solar
water heating panels and fittings.

Has anyone seen this kit?
Is it any good?

Do they have worksheets with ideas for fitting?
I'm keen to put something simple on my roof to clip off something
off my DHW costs.

Any ideas about what these panels could generate and how they could be
used?

I have seen these in store and they look OK!

They are made by a company called RMSolar (
www.rmsolar.com) and come
with a 20 year warranty. The life expectancy is 35 years. The panels
have full certification to BS/EN12975 parts 1 & 2 and are designed
specifically for the UK climate.

There are three sizes of kit available (1 panel, 2 panel and 3 panel)
depending on your size of property. Each system includeds everything
needed for a working system.

You can either fit it yourself or get their installers to do it. There
are installation diagrams on their website. There's a £40 fee for the
initial survey where they recommend which system you need, positioning
etc. This is refunded when you purchase a system.

The system contains glycol and works down to minus 30 degrees C. They
claim that the system can generate up to 70% of your annual hot water.

Payback is about 6 years..I'm sure that as people start to buy them the
price will fall over subsequent years.

harry