Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Pisano Charles Pisano is offline

Default Call a plumber the first time?

Thanks. Sorry for the long post. But that's what I was thinking. The
(inside main) shut off is up a half a foot from the bottom. And the
supply is below the frost line and then some as the home is graded
steeply front to back and it comes in at the front. And as I said I
have it wrapped to the max..(was going to put heat tape in this section,
but it comes too close to plastic drain line to be done safley)..

I'm also thinking that since the plastic supply line is coming down such
a steep hill it will push enough water through when the street valve is
off and the lowest faucet is opened that will also leave plenty room
to push backwards if needed.

I still don't get the comments the builder made about sheetrock freezing
and the studs freezing. Never heard of that one. If anything, I would
think low humidity and the cold would be good for anything that ails a
home except the plumbing of course... Even my H.O. policy says it's not
a problem to drain the lines and leave the house if leaving for a while
in the winter. But I'm going to read the 10 year warranty I was given
with the house to be sure..

I might try to borrow a smallish compressor from a neighbor who I was
talking to about it. I'm not sure, but what PSI should I set it at? And
I guess I can get an adapter from a plumbing supply to hook up the
outside bib to it? But even if I do will it help blow out this
(vertical) section? I'm thinking no, cause the outside faucet that I'll
be hooking to is just after it....??

Thanks
CP