Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Need Suggestions for Repair/Replacement of Washing Machine

Hi, when I bought my house three years ago there was a top loading Kenmore
Fabric Ultra Care I washing machine in the basement.
It worked OK but not great. Last night I put a load of washing in but left
the lid open. a hour and a half or so later I went to remove the
clothes from the washer and smelled an electrical burning smell and the
found the washer w/ the tub full of water. The agitator works
but the tub won't spin. I believe there is a safety switch that blocks the
tub from spinning when the lid is open. It probably burned out a switch
due to the lid being left open.

Question:

I wonder if it's worth while calling Sears too repair the machine or should
I buy another top loading washing machine. After reading the reviews
in Consumer Reports I don't want to buy a front loading machine. Where else
can I find recommendations for washing machines?
I failed to mention I had the original documentation for the machine but
misplaced it. Still might find it though.

Should I post this message in another group?

Thanks,

Mike