Posted to alt.home.repair
caledon caledon is offline

Default Primer for painting exterior walls

Hi,

I may be painting my old stucco exterior walls as well. My house is 105
years old and the paint is peeling from a previous bad paint job. I
just had some questions...

1. How are you applying the paint on the stucco? With a sprayer?
Roller? Brush?
2. How did you test for the type of paint that was on it before? Is
there a way to do that do you think?
3. Also to repair cracks in the stucco - a waterproofing cement fixing
kind of compound would work?

thanks
Janet

miamicuse wrote:
I am in the process of repainting my house. I need a primer for the
exterior stucco wall, eave mount fascia wood boards, the aluminum gutters
that are attached to the fascia board etc...

The paint store suggested that I get a special primer for each surface - a
masonry sealer for the stucco wall, for the fascia board use a wood primer
and for the gutters use something for metal...

But as I pressure cleaned them, the original paint on the walls, the gutters
and fascia boards are still there, there are spots that were removed by the
pressure cleaning but that is less than 5%. Therefore the primer will be
applied not over the raw materials - stucco, wood, alumnimum, but over the
existing paint which is arcylic. Following that logic, I would say it makes
no sense to use a wood primer to paint on a fascia board that is covered by
more than 95% existing paint, hence I need a primer for existing paint
surface, right? or am I overanalyzing?

Thanks in advance,

MC