Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] cgallery@gmail.com is offline

Default Vega fence questions

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been thinking of adding a vega fence to a Jet JWTS-10 saw. I have
not purchased the saw yet, but the $400 deal on the entry-level version
of this saw (with steel wings) includes a pretty sad fence. And I
don't like steel wings, either. But $400 is still a bargain for the
rest of the saw.

Vega indicates that it has built-in support for table boards. But they
don't seem to have any manuals in PDF format, so I don't know how thick
they expect these boards to be or how they attach. The photos of the
fences on amazon look like there is a flange on the bottom of both the
front and rear rails. How much do I need to build a board up to to
make a board that is flush with the top of the table? Does it just
screw from the bottom of this flange?

Also, if I don't use the steel wings, there are just two places to bolt
the fence rails to the cast-iron saw table itself. Is that sufficient?

Stop. Re-think what you are doing. Does it make fiscal sense to buy a saw
and then upgrade everything you already don't like, or is it better to just
spend a few $$ more up front and be happy from the start? Look at the
dollar difference to get a cast iron extension and better fence already
included.

In a word, yes. The Jet is $400 w/ a new trunion so the motor doesn't
hang out the back (smaller, better dust collection). To move up to a
version w/ CI extensions and better fence is several hundred dollars
more. And the fence is comes w/ is nowhere near as good as the Vega.

Already thought about it.