Posted to uk.d-i-y
Googlebot Googlebot is offline

Default Plasterboard fixings

pm wrote:
I want to fit a towel rad to a plasterboard wall. The fixings that come
with the rad aren't for plasterboard unless fixed to timber noggings in
which case the instructions say to drill a 4mm hole for the screws.

Naturally there are no noggings where I need them so I am looking at
plasterboard fixings like these
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id=12229

But I'm not sure what the 'spec' is - the description is "Hollow wall
anchor 5 x 52mm 8-16mm"
I take it the 5x52mm means 5mm screw, 52mm length. But what is the "8 -
16mm"? Is this the size of the hole in the fixing I want to put in?

Also this fitting
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id=33559
"Metal plasterboard anchor 5x37S" - what is 5x37S - 5mm x 37mm? What is
the 'S'?

Thanks

Pete

I tried fixing a towel rail to a plasterboard wall, it was hopeless. Put
wooden noggins in or move it to a solid wall.