Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Plasterboard fixings

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
pm wrote:
I want to fit a towel rad to a plasterboard wall. The fixings that
come with the rad aren't for plasterboard unless fixed to timber
noggings in which case the instructions say to drill a 4mm hole for
the screws.

Naturally there are no noggings where I need them so I am looking at
plasterboard fixings like these
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id=12229

But I'm not sure what the 'spec' is - the description is "Hollow wall
anchor 5 x 52mm 8-16mm"
I take it the 5x52mm means 5mm screw, 52mm length. But what is the "8
- 16mm"? Is this the size of the hole in the fixing I want to put in?

Also this fitting
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id=33559
"Metal plasterboard anchor 5x37S" - what is 5x37S - 5mm x 37mm? What
is the 'S'?

Thanks

Pete

I would say that your only safe option is to take a strip of
plasterboard off and PUT in noggins.

Unless you have tiled the wall, in which case ordinary screws and
rawlplugs will just be adequate.

As a long term dweller in stud work houses, you get very used to carving
out a chunk of board with a Stanley knife, inserting bits of wood to the
studs, and sticking the plasterboard back and re skimming, sanding and
painting.

I've always found this sort of thing quite adequate providing you get a
nice clean hole the right size.