Posted to uk.d-i-y
woodglass woodglass is offline

Default Plasterboard fixings

"pm" wrote in message
I want to fit a towel rad to a plasterboard wall. The fixings that come
with the rad aren't for plasterboard unless fixed to timber noggings in
which case the instructions say to drill a 4mm hole for the screws.

Naturally there are no noggings where I need them so I am looking at
plasterboard fixings like these
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id=12229

But I'm not sure what the 'spec' is - the description is "Hollow wall
anchor 5 x 52mm 8-16mm"
I take it the 5x52mm means 5mm screw, 52mm length.

Yes, your correct !.

But what is the "8 -
16mm"? Is this the size of the hole in the fixing I want to put in?

No, 8-16mm is the range of thicknesses of wall that the anchor can be used
with

The diameter of hole required in the wall is 8mm.

(I used these anchors recently)

Also this fitting
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id=33559
"Metal plasterboard anchor 5x37S" - what is 5x37S - 5mm x 37mm?

I think so !.

What is
the 'S'?

No idea !.