Posted to alt.home.repair
JKevorkian JKevorkian is offline

Default Cleaning glass pot lid (the kind with metal edge)

On 6 Oct 2006 04:42:03 -0700, wrote:

Stan wrote:
I picked up a used glass pot lid, the kind with a metal band around the
edge. The glass has cooked-on grease on both sides of the glass and I can't
get this slightly-sticky-in-places residue off. What's a good way to get
the glass on both sides clean and free of that cooked-on grease/fat?

Here's what worked for me twice:
Use some gel-type paint remover like Kleen-Strip on it. I burned some
caramel in a saucepan some time ago and nothing was working on it. I covered
the bottom of the pot with the remover and stirred, picked and scraped at it
with a popsicle stick once a day for a week and this removed the charred mess.
My wife recently burned some corn in the pot (same pot, too!) last week and
again, this method worked to perfection.
I got the idea from a product that Sunbeam marketed in their repair shops
called Sunbeam Frying Pan Cleaner. I bought some and discovered it was actually
paint remover - one of the ingredients is methylene chloride. I wouldn't try
this stuff on aluminum though, since it tends to turn it black.