Posted to alt.home.repair
shawn shawn is offline

Default Primer for painting exterior walls

Well...you dont want to etch the stucco with the pressure..it will dont
let it sit there...definently keep the wand moving thats the key.

I'm not sure on hp...i just know the storebought ones are entirely
different category than the professional truck ones. But like I said I
went that route because all of my paint was 15 years old and some
peeling, but all of it was seriously chalky and my home one wasn't
getting it off even though I knew it was pretty bad. if your paint is
in ok shape you'll probably be ok.

It just depends on the shape of your old paint.

You just want to make sure your taking off any old, loose or about to
be loose stuff...if you think it looks ok with yours then you're
probably ok. With mine when I used my home one, it would keep on
peeling off, but took a long time, the fact it kept on peeling off make
me hire the large truck one because it was going to take forever. When
the truck one was done..there was still some paint left but it simply
wouldn't come off which meant it was well bonded. They could run the
hose from the truck to the back of the house shoot up at the gables
15ft up and it would take paint off like cake..with my home one I had
to be right up on it.

Plenty of people use thier home sprayer..unless your paint is in very
bad shape i'm sure you'll be ok...just make sure you get all loose
areas then the paint will help to seal it in. You just dont want large
areas of old paint coming off under new paint. Get the major areas
you'll be ok.

- shawn

MiamiCuse wrote:
Thanks Shawn...just out of curiosity what is the HP I need for cleaning
and paint removal? The one I am using is about 2300HP. Is this too
weak? It is not taking much off and some it did enough to sort of
crack it and I had to scrap it off clean. I never done this before so
I assumed less HP better meaning that if I did not have enough I can
always improve it by renting a bigger model versus peeling more than I
am bargained for and knocking gutter straps away from their attachments
etc...

Thanks again, any comments appreciated. I know the prep work is the
most important part so I don't mind redoing the cleaning if it will
make a better end product.

MC